Tuesday, December 11, 2012

We're Alive!

Yes, we are alive, well, and BUSY. No surprise there, though. What has happened since that Thanksgiving post?

We went to Napa for our annual post-Thanksgiving visit. It was much more fun with a 1 year old than 2 week old!


Just spending a little time in the wine rack at Gloria.

And enjoying the view.
I had a meltdown. - I am going to circle back on this below, but I think half of the reason I haven't blogged is because of this lovely little tantrum I threw on Thanksgiving night. The outcome...I realized that life, and especially life with kids, is a balancing act and I am trying to sort out all the pieces of that. Again, more on that below.
Noah watching the Thanksgiving Day parade. He makes me so proud ;-).
Noah got sick. - Noah had a little cold, low grade fever, and some coughing. No big deal. He recovered. THEN, it came on strong the following week. 103 degree fever, whining, clinging, and completely passing out in an instant (very unusual for my little goose). So, we ended up at the pediatrician and found out that he had a double ear infection. We started our very first round of antibiotics and it seems to be doing the trick ;-). For the record, fevers freak me out.
The sickies are awful, but this moment was priceless.
Scott got it, too. I'll let you guess who was the more demanding patient ;-).
Instagram. I became addicted as I am sure you can tell by the photos in this post. You can follow me at Steffy7210.
Yes, indeed Noah DID need these bear slippers from the Gap.
We started holiday celebrations. - The festivities have begun! Our calendar is jam packed with holiday get togethers with friends, families, work parties, mommies, etc... I am pretty sure this is throwing my aforementioned balance out of whack, but tis the season I suppose!
Noah actually thought about being OK with Santa for a few minutes. This was, hands down, the best Santa. He was so good with all of the kids and really took his time letting the kids come to him.

It didn't end well. But I kind of love it anyway!
The house got decorated. - It took about two weeks but I finally got everything up. I am SO happy I didn't let myself off the hook on this one. Having all our decorations up makes me very happy. Of course, a Christmas candle and music really makes it all come together ;-).
Trip #1 of decorations down from the attic. Pretty sure there were about 2 more after this.
My little helper.
Scott pretty much dominated in exterior illumination this year!


Noah turned 13 months. - It is funny...I spent the entire first year counting months and days as he got older. Once he turned one, that all went away. I almost blew right through the 9th without a second thought (it was actually the advent calendar that tipped me off). Noah continues to make us smile each and every day. We find ourselves missing him more and more each night when he goes to bed and look forward to seeing what he'll be up to the next day! His motor skills are developed well beyond his age (this kid can CLIMB), but he still calls Scott "mama" sometimes. All in all, we absolutely cannot get enough of him and are so anxious to celebrate the holidays with our 1-year-old! 
Along with turning 13 months, he gave up his bottle. With the switch to milk from formula he decided he wasn't interested in his nighttime bottle any more so we packed them up!
We also moved to the big boy bath. Yes, my kid was still getting baths in the sink until a few days ago. He loves his new swimming pool!
Balance. I will spare you the ugly cry details, but suffice it to say that after making it through turkey day I was spent. In the midst of my exhaustion I had a realization about what was really getting me down. Balance. Or lack thereof. There are so many roles that we are expected to balance:
Parent
Relationship
Self
Body
Family
Blogger
Friends
House
Just to name a few. I mean, I stay at home with Noah and I still feel like I can't keep up. If I blog, my house is a disaster, if I work out, I miss Noah's dinner time and quality time with my boys, if I go out with the girls, I miss an opportunity for a date night with Scott, and so on and so on. Where is the time for all of these roles we are asked to play?! I'll be the first to admit that I put a lot more pressure on myself than is necessary. I want my house clean at the end of each day and I want to go to bed feeling like I have been a good mom and wife. And sometimes I forget about one of these things, but most of the time, I forget about my "me" time and my relationship time. Scott and I move at light speed and we have both agreed we need to just sloooooooooowwwww down and carve out the time for US. He needs his "Scott" time, and I need "my" time and we need time for us. And these things are going to start taking some priority around here. We are going to learn to say "no" to things and focus on our little family. And, somehow, the rest of it will fall into place. 
A common occurrence...baby with remote on couch.

Phew, so there is my rant on balance. I know I don't have the answer to age old question of how to do it all and master any one piece of it, but I am going to try and find a way to cut myself some slack when I need to and just enjoy the ride. December is a bust...but watch out January...I'm coming for you! 

Oh, and did I fail to mention that I thought it would be a good idea to enroll in a class this fall to keep myself smart? Yeah, all it did was make me angry. For the past 12 weeks I have been reading a book a week, writing a paper, and participating in a discussion. So, Monday-Wednesday were shot for the above items. Like I said, watch out January! 
My number one priority.
And, finally, for the record, to those mommies who work and pull off all of the above...please send me an instruction manual. Being a stay at home mom is hard in its own way, but I can't imagine not having my days to get laundry done, house cleaned, and errands run. I would probably explode from overload if I worked...you ladies deserve a medal.
Phew, I need a rest too!

2 comments:

Abby Gustus Alford said...

I love this post Stephanie!!! So honest and Noah couldn't be cuter! Hope all is well:)

Katrina Dalbey said...

Great Post! Yes, Balance is the key word and it is super hard. I am one of those working mommy's and I never get as much done as I would like. You know me, I like to work my 'to do' list. I like to say we live in this world of tension. We try to do as much as we can but not everything is done. I have had to learn that it is more important that my kids are happy and sleeping at the end of the day then my house being cleaned. So, no instruction manual here - just some affirmation that you are on the right track. Take care of yourself, your relationship with your hubby and your kids. The rest will eventually fall into place. Ok, I just wrote a novel. Hang in there and keep posting as much as possible. Your son is super cute :)