Thursday, May 9, 2013

a tale of two toddlers.

Let's catch up:

We got a puppy.
Meet Nana (and watch Peter Pan if you are unclear on why we named her this)

My mom came to visit. All rules went out the window.
Case in point.
I now have an 18 month old boy and a second, furry, toddler. 
Partners in crime.
I am currently drinking a beer. It is 2pm in the afternoon, and I am alone.

Ok, I believe we are up to date.

Yes, the boy part of the above sentence is very important to the story I am about to tell you. Noah is a rough and tumble kind of kid. He is very physical (should have seen this coming at 8.5 months when he was walking) and has little to no regard for his own safety (i.e.-free falling off furniture is nothing new around here...he just climbs back up).
Horseshoes are not light, but Noah insisted on playing like DaDa.
Today was a great day. Noah and I started our morning off at Happy Hollow, he rode a ride alone for the very first time, and then we went and met Scott for a delicious lunch. I was feeling very high on my mom horse, echoing kisses back and forth with Noah as we drove home. 
First ride...ringing the bell.
I came home to my sweet puppy and praised her for having zero accidents in the kitchen while we were in bliss-ville. Then, I looked closer. Somehow, my sweet fur toddler figured out how to strategically pee under the washer and dryer. So, I sent the kids packing outside and proceeded to begin moving the very large and heavy appliances across the kitchen so I could mop up the giant yellow puddle. They were playing nicely together for once, Noah looking cute sitting on the edge of the fire pit (it requires a key and lighter to turn it on, so it is not a baby hazard while off) while Nana sniffed around him. Fast forward two minutes. I had absorbed the ridiculous amount of liquid that my 12 week old puppy left behind and went to say hi to the kids. Noah started running. Friends, when your 18 month old sees you and high tails it from the scene, it means he is up to no good. The scene? Fire pit rocks (think little tiny bits of lava) were everywhere, Nana was licking them up like an afternoon snack, and Noah wouldn't open his mouth. I opted to deal with the toddler first...he had an entire mouthful of rocks, meanwhile, Nana was still shoveling more in. After ridding mouth #2 of rocks, I headed for the broom. Big mistake. Noah wanted to help and Nana wanted to eat it. Within seconds, one was crying and the other one was trying to eat the broom while I tried to clean up the mess they had made. Ultimately, I hauled Noah inside, locked him out of the kitchen (the washer/dryer were still in the middle with floor cleaner everywhere), I went outside to tend to Nana who still hadn't peed outside so she couldn't be trusted inside. Now Noah is crying inside (did I mention we are an hour overdue for a nap?) and Nana is trying to eat my leg while I finish piling up rocks so she won't eat them while I put my boy down for a nap. Pretty much, I had a house prison, and a yard prison, and I was the looniest one in lock up.

And now, Noah is down, pee is finally cleaned and kitchen put back together (my floors looks great, thanks Nana), and Nana has been allowed inside under strict parental supervision. And here I am with my beer telling you this ridiculous story. What a return to the blog, eh?! 

I will say that life in puppy land has been really great at times and really trying at others (don't tell Scott I admitted that). She really is a sweetheart but she is also a 22lb puppy competing with a 22lb toddler for attention. My little boy is mischievous and hilarious and keeps me moving nonstop. My friend Jessi said it best, "it isn't a visit with Noah unless I get hit by something he threw". Yep, that's my boy. Yesterday I even took him to the pediatrician convinced he had an ear infection based on his melodramatic behavior. Turns out, I just have a busy, opinionated, toddler who is unable to really tell me what he wants (aside from "Nana treat"; this dog will be fat).

A small glimpse into my current life:
Noah running for the corner. His most favorite afternoon activity. We added a challenge factor with a puppy in tow. Also, those pants are size 6 months...I just can't give them up.
My kids helping me clean the cottage shower for Grandma's visit.
Noah refuses to ride in the cart anymore. He much prefers pushing it; and please don't try to help.

This outfit. Could you die?!
But there are also about 10000000 sweet moments a day that make it all worth it!
Future plans...puppy class and a "parenting a toddler" class. Until these two are manageable, you will find me in my backyard, by my tarp covered fire pit (thanks Amazon Prime), with a glass of wine. And guess what, I couldn't be happier.

*I feel quite paranoid in the world of the internet so I include this disclaimer. Please know that the glass Noah has above was empty before he every so naughtily climbed on the table and took it for his own! As for the baby on the table...blame Grandma.

No comments: