Monday, February 8, 2010

Best. Weekend. Ever.

It was a hard weekend to top after Paige came to visit but I think I found heaven on earth this weekend. It was in the form of an incredible 24+ hours with my future husband.

The weekend started with my future inlaws...Beth, Charlene, Renee, Stacia, Michelle, Kristina, and Aimee. Ok, some will be my nieces but that is just too hard to wrap my head around so we will lump them in with the sisters in law!

We all headed down for dinner out at Town in San Carlos. Yummy! This was just meal one of a weekend of eating like a queen.
Ladies Night! Oh, and about that tan...must. find. sun. (I promise I will get over this soon)
The sisters

Of course, it didn't end at dinner...we were off to the Carlos Club!
WOW. What an interesting place. All types of people, that's for sure!
An example of one such people! I asked Kristina to take a picture of me and try to get him in the background but he was eager to jump into it. Yikes.

After working up a sweat on the dance floor it was time to head home to rest up for Napa.

Not that my time with the ladies wasn't tremendous but the next two days were truly untouchable. Scott and I were able to get a crazy deal on a hotel and a few of our wine clubs were having events which means FREE WINE! That said, it was cold and rainy and we were 30 minutes late to our first appointment because of traffic but it just didn't matter.

Stop 1-Stags' Leap Winery (not Stag's Leap Wine Cellars)
Not a shabby residence!

Stags' Leap has A LOT of history. Around since the early 1900's it was the reason the district was named the Stags Leap District. They made it through prohibition, operated as a brothel of sorts at one point, and of course, make stellar wine!

The speakeasy that was in the basement.
Woo hoo! First picture of the two of us in a long time!

Stop 2-Oakville Grocery. Again, YUMMY (if you haven't been, it is worth the pilgrimage)! We scarfed some delicious turkey pesto sandwiches before...

Stop 3-Far Niente. The caves were as beautiful as ever. Nice and candlelit with lots of delicious cabs throughout!
Ok, Dolce is not a cab...it is a delicious dessert wine but I love it!
Scott, too (back to pictures of us by ourselves)

Stop 4-Nickel & Nickel. No pictures and honestly we were slowing a bit but we tasted some yummy wines and then headed off.

Stop 5-The Vintage Inn. Ahhh, a little slice of paradise in Yountville! This was my first ever overnight stay in Napa. It is so easy for us to come up for a day trip so we haven't ever spent the night. And let me say, there was no better place to stay. Beautiful rooms, fireplace in each room, gorgeous grounds, HUGE champagne breakfast (you think it, they had it), great robes, etc... I could go on all day.

Stop 6-Bottega.
If I had to pick a last meal, this might be it! There are really no words. And what words there are could fill an entire post. This is probably the best meal of my life.
Ricotta gnocchi. Melt in your mouth!
Fall off the bone short ribs.

Somehow we refrained from licking our plates and wandered back to the hotel.
This is my, "I have been drinking all day and I am exhausted" smile. But I sure am happy!

Stop 7-The Spa. I decided with all of the rain in the city and the lack of sunshine I needed a little face pick me up so I headed to get a facial. Once again, another BEST experience. This spa pulled out all the stops. I actually took advantage of all the amenities (including the shower with 9 shower heads!!).

Stop 8-Gloria Ferrer. Ah, nothing like topping off the perfect weekend with a little bubbly (really, you thought I could get through a weekend without it?). The sun was finally shining and we relaxed outside before making our return trip home.
Their wines aren't bad!

Stop 9-The Strand Fam's. We joined the Strand's for a little Super Bowl action. I will have to say that I was probably less than a fun guest. The weekend took it out of me but as you can see it was pretty much perfection.

Stop 10-Home. No place like it. Although I don't need to SEE a glass of wine for awhile. :-)

I will leave you with a sign that was in the bathroom at Stags' Leap...

ps-I still need to get that earthquake kit!

No comments: