Monday, November 2, 2009

Get comfortable...

This is going to be a loooooong one!

Let's rewind to last week. To get in the Halloween spirit Scott brought home some pumpkins for us to carve. I LOVE pumpkin carving and hopefully a little of that love is rubbing off on Scott.

Lola was pretty indifferent to the festivities!
The set up
The finished product...mine says "BOO" this year. Scott has already seen my "Happy Halloween" expertise so I decided to take it easy this year. For the record, I stole "Happy Halloween" from my mom...she has done it as long as I can remember!
I also got out the crock pot for a little pulled pork yumminess! Crock pots might be the greatest EVER!

Recipe (this recipe serves 12...might want to cut it in half):
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 boneless pork shoulder roast (3 1/2 to 4 pounds), netted or tied
1 can (10 1/2 ounces) Campbell's® Condensed French Onion Soup
1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup cider vinegar
3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
12 round sandwich rolls or hamburger rolls, split
**I also added a little KC Masterpiece BBQ sauce to the mixture

Directions:

Heat the oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pork
and cook until well browned on all sides.
Stir the soup, ketchup, vinegar and brown sugar in a 5-quart slow
cooker. Add the pork and turn to coat.
Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 9 hours* or until the pork is fork-tender.
Remove the pork from the cooker to a cutting board and let stand for
10 minutes. Using 2 forks, shred the pork. Return the pork to the
cooker.
Spoon the pork and sauce mixture on the rolls.
*Or on HIGH for 4 to 5 hours.


The Halloween fun continued on Friday with a trip to Chestnut Street for a Halloween parade (for the kiddos). The sidewalks were PACKED with kids in all kinds of costumes. It was really just too cute and too much fun (until the scary hand came out of the bowl and scared Kayla).

The little ladybug
Does it get any cuter?
Kayla met her kitty cat friend, Reece for a little trick or treating. Reece loved spotting all the Elmos around!

Friday night Scott and I decided to revisit our old habit of Friday date evening/night. In keeping up with an ongoing habit, we tried a new restaurant...Beretta. Let's just say it was love at first glance of the menu. They specialize in the three things: cocktails, pizza, and risotto. Cocktails aren't really my thing, but pizza and risotto?! I am pretty sure this restaurant was made for me!

You would think I would learn to ask someone to take a picture of us together! Also, for the record...growing my hair out is the worst process! It is in that in between length that makes me not want to chop it in the first place. It is just so frustrating...GROW ALREADY. Whew, glad I got that out, thanks for listening.
Scott at dinner (his hair looks quite nice!)!

Saturday we finally got around to registering for the wedding. Apparently we have been a bit busy since the engagement?! We made our rounds, starting at Williams Sonoma.
From there it was onto Macy's. UGH! Macy's just about sucked the life out of us. The Macy's in Union Square is eight stories that equate to department store hell. I should mention shopping is not my thing (although a 4 story Williams Sonoma was my own personal heaven) so being trapped in a basement of a Macy's with a scanning gun that doesn't work almost ruined the day. LUCKILY, Crate and Barrel came to the rescue and breathed new life into Scott and me. Funny thing about registering...you feel like you are shopping but when you get home none of the fun new gadgets you feel like you bought are there! I sure wish I had my avocado slicer for our burgers that night :-).

Speaking of that night...it was Halloween! Now, I am all for dressing up when I have somewhere to go but also enjoy staying in and handing out candy. Option #2 won. Come to find out though, Super Diamond was playing that night in the city. I would have been there in my roller skates (I have been roller girl for a few years running) singing right along!!!

Scott decided we needed to be outside to make sure the kids knew we had candy. Turns out just sitting on your front steps with a large bowl of candy and pumpkins doesn't cut it...you have to actually CALL the kids to get them to come and take your candy. These kids need trick or treating lessons (or maybe it's their parents?!).
Scott and Lola manning the house!
Scott calling for passing trick or treaters!

After successfully luring in about 20 kids we called it a night and snuggled up on the couch for some movie time. Registering can take it out of you!

No...we are not finished!

Sunday, we headed down south for Scott's niece (I guess as of August she will be my niece too-crazy! Not to mention I will have three nieces that are older than me!) Anee's baptism.
Anee after the service

After a yummy lunch at Macaroni Grill and some catching up with the family we officially called it a weekend.

I'd say things might slow down but the holiday season is upon us and I think we are looking at January before anything slows down. But, then again, there is a wedding to plan...maybe next fall?!

No comments: